Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Splurge vs Steal Nightstand

In addition to throw pillows, I hate spending money on lamps. I know some designs really require an investment, but really just a plain ceramic lamp with a brass bottom? Same with a nightstand in a certain draper style look, in white and with a height of at least 28"? You guessed it, I couldn't find anything close to what I wanted with this criteria within spending reason. Now, the Robert Abbey lamps aren't really that bad, but when you need two matching ones, it can be steep. The Jacqui nightstand, well, is way overpriced in my opinion. Let's start with a couple of rooms that inspired me:

gold starburst mirror white and mint gold room

orange pink white bedroom decor jacqui nightstand

white bedside table gloss brass ring
jacqui nightstand white lacquer bedroom

Below were my Splurge and Steal picks for this look.
brass and white bedside decorating

robert abbey lamp look a like
I went with my 'Steal' option and got pairs of both, saving me over $1,800! Six brass ring pulls from online and gold spray paint for the bottoms of my lamp completed the look.

Rust-Oleum Metallic Gold Spray Paint reviews
 I get a lot of questions about what I use for my DIY projects. For gold, I highly recommend the Rust-Oleum Metallic brand. As with any metallic, I have learned to get a spray clear sealer as well to prevent any from rubbing off in the future.

robert abbey lamp diy pottery barn white ceramic lamp brass bottom
My nightstand and lamp in soft whites. I like to be lulled to sleep...soft, serene...no bold colors so went with a very light room color scheme. I did matching sets on either side of my bed, but no full picture yet until I get my accent pillows picked out:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment